Sunday, November 5, 2017

Seeming apathetic and not making a will

A friend of mine just learned about my cancer tonight.  I didn't think that someone may not know yet.  As I'm telling the specifics, she says something along the lines of "you are taking this better than I am, it almost seems like you don't care."

I don't get emotional telling people.  I state my diagnosis and its details matter-of-factly, might even sound chipper as I do so.  No need to deliver sad news with more negative emotion if I can help it, and I don't let myself dwell in the land of "what-if" for too long, though stop there briefly on bad days.  Maybe because every indication I've been given is that there's a good chance of making it out of here alive...

If I often thought about the possibility of death, the real dread that the word cancer conjures, I'm uncertain how I'd cope.  Would I even attempt to save my own life past the bleakness?  Would I awaken with joy and hope, or would I fear the future until my last breath?

She and I both have health issues.  We've faced health scares and, on occasion, a makeout session with Lord Death.  And we still smile and love and soldier on, so I'm uncertain why my reaction upset her.  Perhaps because it was just a shock to hear the news.

She also said I should write out a will.  Though I've given some thought as to my final wishes (how could I not?), I'm refraining.  I'm not terminal.  I have nothing of real worth.  Would my family really fight over my Nintendo 3DS?  My clothing that's as far from "designer label" as clothes can get?  I have no expensive jewelry or land, no vehicles. Much of what I own my husband co-owns.

I only have two sets of things that carry any value in this world:  My poetry (however little that's actually worth), and the people I'm lucky love me in return.  The memory I leave, the love I bestow, is the greatest thing I can give them.  And they will carry me with them... hopefully leaving gentle fingerprints upon other hearts.  There is nothing more than this.  It is enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment