Saturday, November 4, 2017

Side effects (personal, graphic post)

Quick notes before today's post:

1.  My surgical masks arrived, my INR is completed (3.1), and the wheelchair repairs will take place Thursday morning.  The outside stresses are easing.

2.  The following post will contain information about radiation therapy's side effects.  There will be discussion of bodily fluids and intimate areas.  If you have issues with these things, please don't read.

3.  I can't speak for what everyone is going to go through.  All bodies are different.  Areas being treated can be different.  Even doses vary among patients.
**********************************
Two radiation treatments to go before I'm done with the external part of this.  I, of course, am experiencing more side effects this close to the end.  They aren't pleasant, but they aren't as severe as they could be.

My bathrooming issues include diarrhea and symptoms similar to a bladder infection.  The diarrhea started about 40% of the way through treatment and Pepto Bismol doesn't curtail the issue... Imodium does.  The bladder problems came about a bit later, but are more painful.  It stings to urinate, I have slight blood in my urine, and the frequency I pee is increasing.  The diarrhea hasn't come with cramps, thankfully.

I'm tired.  Some people have said the fatigue of radiation therapy is like staying awake for three straight days.  Though I nap six days a week, it hasn't been that severe.  Maybe during the next phase...

My skin under my belly and at the top of my butt is getting irritated and somewhat itchy.  My husband has said the skin may have a darker tint.  I doubt I will get the open sores some patients have because I'm almost through.

I'm losing some of my pubic hair.  This isn't a nice, even loss, but more like patches.  I imagine it like a coyote with mange, though it probably isn't that bad.

The last thing I loathe to include here only because I've heard conflicting things about whether or not radiation therapy can cause it.  I don't want people upset because they think it's going to happen to them and something similar has occurred with me before.
I had an abscess between my labia two or three inches long for about a week.  I could barely sit and each move felt like a blowtorch to my private area.  I've never experienced anything that severe before.  I'd like to say it was just horrible timing... but I don't know.

Well... that's it.  Outside of the last possible side effect it hasn't been too horrific.  Inconvenient, yes.  Messy, sometimes.  Painful on occasion. But, not anything like I imagined.
These side effects might stay around even after treatment ends. 


No comments:

Post a Comment