Friday, November 10, 2017

Brachytherapy, hospitalization, more stress

Monday, I was told by the nurse at the external radiation hospital that the next hospital might want me by the following Monday.  I hadn't heard anything about it.  My case manager emailed to say the hospital said I'd be going into the operating room on Monday.  The next day, while I was at treatment, Dr. Marvelous' hospital called and told my husband I'm supposed to be there at noon on Sunday.

I need to coordinate my van rides.  I need time to process.  My husband and I were informed there would be a regular appointment before I went down for my brachytherapy.
************************
My last external radiation treatment was Tuesday.  I almost got weepy, leaving my team for the next thing.  They presented me with a cute "graduation certificate" about my bravery and all that.  I bet they say that to all the people.

I came home Tuesday with all the new information from my husband and hit the ceiling.  So many changes.  We were the absolute last people to know when we should have been the first.  The transportation company was not answering.  My case manager was at a conference.  I screamed once Mr. Davicob left to run an errand.

The van company called in response to the message I left.  They're low on wheelchair-van drivers and have no idea if someone can take me Sunday.  Am I sure, absolutely sure, I can't have the treatment at a closer hospital?
********************************
Wednesday arrives and I confirm with my case manager that we're to meet Friday to talk things over before admittance.

I cancel my sister Saturday (who I'm barely seeing through this) because that's packing day.

The transportation place calls and says they found a driver.  The long-distance hospital will have to figure out how to get me home because they can't give me a release time.
****************
Thursday, my wheelchair gets new tires.  The repairman is nice, efficient.  He tells me I should start the process for getting a new wheelchair because it takes quite the while.  I can only focus on the "cancer stuff".  He reiterates four times.
************************
Today's meeting with my case manager went well, was short.  She's very personable and tries to help whenever possible.

While I was getting ready for my case manager's visit, Dr. Marvelous' hospital called to discuss my medicines.  The woman asked when I had my pre-op physical done... I haven't.  She asked what I was told about stopping certain medications (like my Warfarin).,. I wasn't.  I waited for a call-back most of the afternoon to be told to stop taking my Warfarin from today on out (something I said I was doing anyway because,,, surgery).

This and many other crossed wires, missing basic pieces of information, etc. are making me even more nervous than I would normally be...




No comments:

Post a Comment