Monday, November 27, 2017

Internal radiation (hospital time)

The following post will be disjointed.  It will not be technical and detached.  It was a lot to go through.  Forgive the typos.
**********************
On Sunday, November twelfth, my husband and I went to Dr. Marvelous' hospital (from hereafter called City Block Hospital).  It was a rocky start.

First, they had us go to the eighth floor in one wing.  As we're being checked into the room (having already been in the room for about a half-hour) we're told I'm supposed to be on the fourth floor of a totally different wing.  Once we get into that room, we realize there isn't anywhere for Mr. Davicob to sleep but an uncomfortable recliner.  The bed I generally like (a bariatric bed) had to be ordered in special and took well over an hour to be set up.  We also had a nasty shock when we found out that Mr. Davicob, being my guest, would have to pay for his own meals; we're poor and no one told us.

During my consultation with Dr. Marvelous prior to my external radiation, she mentioned an epidural might be best to limit my exposure to multiple doses of anaesthesia.  I thought it was something floated by, something to be discussed with me in more detail beforehand.  Nope.  Within a few hours of being there I met Ten, an anaesthesiology student who walked me through what to expect (and do) during receiving an epidural.  He told me to arch my back like an angry cat or shrimp... I won't forget it.  Soon after, I met with another anaesthesiology student who had to start an IV line because the IV Team couldn't.

After my husband and I had lunch, my bed was fixed and I was transferred into it.  My husband stayed in his uncomfortable chair the entire time we were there.
**********************
I was given two bed baths in preparation for the operating room.  The first was given to me by a sweet, gaming girl.  The second, by a matronly nurse with seven children who told me, after I admitted I was nervous, that she had a kidney transplant a long time ago... that what I think will be.

I had blood drawn early that morning and was taken down to a "waiting bay" before the sun rose.  City Block Hospital has a "Transport Team" that moves you, bed and all, to where you need to be.  These are some of the nicest people in the hospital, though everyone was great to me.

I was given my epidural by Ten and another anaesthesiology student with an anaesthesiologist overseeing.  A lovely nurse held my hands and helped me balance the entire time.  It was easier than I imagined.

Soon after, I was put into another waiting area as the operating room was prepared.  I met even more new people.  The anaesthesiologist with me in the operating room sang "Jingle Bells" and spoke of his unabiding love for all things Christmas.  Dr. Marvelous held my hand in the operating room until everything was ready.  The doctor I call "the second surgeon" (Dr. U.) was in the operating room as well.

On top of my epidural, I was given more medicine that kept me calm, though not asleep.  I zoned out after a time, so I only remember certain parts.  I know the ultrasound tech was called in to verify the placement of the delivery system inside me.  I remember parts of the gynecologic exam I had after I was first scrubbed down.  I remember not caring about who saw what part of me, even though there were a fair amount of people in the room (City Block Hospital is a teaching hospital).  I remember everything being finished, but the memory of getting back to my hospital room is hazy.
**********************
I had my first scan that afternoon.  It's basically a CT scan without the IV or breath-holding.  The scan is to check if everything placed inside is still where it's supposed to be.  I had one both days I had internal radiation.  I met even more new people.  I swear, half of those girls were named "Amber".

Once it was confirmed nothing shifted, I was given my first dose of internal radiation in another room.  The machine is much quieter than the external radiation one.  There was no transferring to another table.  It was by my feet, not something that swings around my body.  It would sound like puffed air with only the occasional louder click.  I still jumped, though.  I tried not to.  The material that goes through the internal system looked like tiny, metal beads on clear wire.
**********************
I had the epidural in me until after my final treatment was over because the system was in me for the duration.  I got so hot, but they don't allow fans so I had to use a cool washcloth on my face.  I didn't have pain from my waist on down, but everything else ached because I couldn't roll over or sit up from early Monday morning until Tuesday night.  I didn't eat much because I was scared of choking.  I itched.  They stopped my bowel movements because I couldn't shift to be cleaned.

There were times I told my husband I couldn't do it, couldn't manage until everything was over.  I threw up a bit, once, because I got heat sick.  My IV blew out so they had to use an ultrasound machine to find a new vein.  They put me on a normal hospital bed after the operating room and I never slept on my bariatric bed again.
**********************
Tuesday night, Ten took out my epidural.  As soon as I got my feeling back, I wanted my catheter out.  Unfortunately, I had gloriously painful hours of my body trying to reject it before it was removed.

The night techs took a sponge piece out of my bed and changed my sheets.  After that, things got a little better because I could move more freely.
**********************
Early Wednesday morning, I started having issues with urination.  I would go frequently, with almost no warning, and zero hope of holding it until the bedpan arrived.  I would go every twenty minutes... tops.  I started to think I wouldn't be able to go home,

Thankfully, everything slowed down just enough when the IV was removed.  Mr. Davicob and I made the three-hour trip home without incident... where I promptly peed all over the bathroom floor.  At least it's tile!


No comments:

Post a Comment