Sunday, August 27, 2017

The Ways I'm Lucky

It's hard to see the good things when you're facing hardship.  Sometimes, it's even more difficult with a cancer diagnosis.  But, I'm lucky in so many ways.

I'm not going through this alone.  My husband, mother, brothers, sister, and parents-in-law are all behind me. I'm on a program where I have a two-person team helping me with "quality of life" stuff and they're great.  I can't imagine not having someone rooting for you during this.

I'm on Medicaid.  Cancer is an expensive disease.  I don't have to worry about affording treatment.  So many people go bankrupt or become homeless just trying to survive cancer and get well.

My cancer hasn't spread far, is an "early" grade, and exists in a place that's common and easier to eradicate.  No major organs show signs of it.  My outlook is good.

The doctors (outside of the surgeon) are keeping on top of things and are conferring with other doctors about my "unique set of challenges".   They interact with me like I'm a human.  They aren't making me wait six weeks for another appointment.

Though I wish I could work, I'm glad right now that I don't have a "regular job".  I can barely plan treatment being a homebody.  Juggling radiation while trying to keep a job sounds impossible.
____________________________
Cancer still sucks.  I just can't deny that I'm better off than some people.  Not that the knowledge helps me during the sad or frustrating parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment