Sunday, August 13, 2017

Radiation plan and anomaly

We woke up at 4:30 in the morning to get ready for my appointment with Dr. R. (the radiation doctor).  We are not morning people, my beloved and I.  Sleep didn't approach easily that night, either.

The PET scan shows an anomaly in my sternum.  It's a shocking thing, like someone slapping you in the face with a frozen salmon.  I am sure I don't have cancer elsewhere, I'm sure it hasn't spread.  I've convinced myself of this.  I don't know what to think.

I moved around during the administration of the glucose agent for the PET scan.  I had terrible muscle cramps in my torso.  Maybe that's what it was.  Yes, yes, it must be.  Movement attracts the serum, throws off the scan.

I am to have another CT scan and an MRI.  Clear pictures on which to base my treatment.  Will I have radiation, chemotherapy?  What are my odds?

Dr. R. has outlined my radiation regimen, if I am to need it.  Nine weeks of external radiation at five times a week.  After, I am to receive five doses of internal radiation.  He outlined the nasty side effects of treatment.  But, what illness is too severe for extra sand in the hourglass?


No comments:

Post a Comment