Friday, September 22, 2017

Weighing being "out there"

The name of this blogging game is anonymity.  I've told people I'm closest to I have cancer.  People working at my transportation service also know because they take me to appointments at cancer centers.  There are even a couple of random people who know.

Anonymity isn't always the best way to go about things.  I sometimes wonder if I should just reveal it to EVERYONE.  Seriously.  Put it on every social media account, every blog or website that's mine.

I've always felt announcing something like cancer to the world would be selfish on my part.  I'd worry people who wouldn't have had to worry.  Some people who I would want to take notice... wouldn't.  I'd be bombarded by messages from people who never, ever message me.  People would think I'm seeking attention.  Some people I know will make my diagnosis about them and their feelings... without being particularly close to me.

There are positives to telling people, though.  I wouldn't have a secret.  There'll be less worry about people who I haven't told finding out and someone I did tell betraying my confidence.  I'll have a legitimate reason to pull away from other people's drama and problems to take care of myself... I'm one of those people who shoulders everyone's problems and can't say "no".

It makes me uncomfortable to be "out there" with my diagnosis.  When some people find out about my cancer, they're going to be angry that they weren't told.  I'm uncertain if there is a "right" answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment