Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The other surgeon and the stage

While I saw Dr. Marvelous, I also saw a surgeon for a second opinion.  She was kind and straightforward, but scared me a bit.

She told me why she believes the other surgeon wouldn't operate.  Cervical cancer is harder to deal with and, even though I have Uterine Cancer, the tumor was still on the cervix and parameters are more difficult to define.  Also, I would have needed radiation therapy, regardless... so, maybe that's why.

She asked me why I waited so long to begin treatment.  I told her things just kept cropping up.  She said it concerns her, considering the mass was found in April.  It worries me, too.  But, I had to wait six weeks for a few minutes with the first surgeon.  The doctor who removed my mass had to consult with colleagues beforehand because I'm a complex case.  I didn't stop at any point, everyone else has to confer, refer, plan... it takes a while... I guess.  Most of the momentum began just last month.  Now, Dr. R. and Dr. Marvelous have to coordinate treatment and call me; I'm waiting again through no fault of my own.

She uttered the words, "if treatment works" which really bothered my husband because he's never thought it wouldn't.  I've told him nothing is guaranteed, but all the doctors tell me I have a lot of positive factors on my side.

She also said I'm possibly at stage three.  Now, I thought stage two, but never seriously thought three.  I've spent a couple days looking at the likelihood of getting out of this alive.  Higher stage, but lower grade.  Complex case, but young.  I don't know.  Death has entered my thoughts as an uninvited guest and I'm more afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment