Friday, August 18, 2017

The Healing House

My local hospital is on the smaller side in Network A.  The hospital I'm having all my tests done through is better-equipped and in Network B.  The two hospitals don't communicate well across networks (which is why they don't even have my last name as my married one in Network B).

My local hospital (Network A) can do my external radiation treatment... possibly.  I'm not sure.  But, with getting my internal radiation done at the bigger hospital, I was hoping to have it all completed there.  No mixed information delaying my treatment.  No misreading dosages or appointments jeopardizing my health.

Since the hospital in network B is approximately a two-hour drive, I was hoping I could stay at The Healing House, a free place to stay for cancer patients receiving treatment. Mr. Davicob and I would be a lot closer to the hospital in Network B.  There would be no crossed wires.  I would be working toward a cancer-free diagnosis with doctors I've already met.

Researching The Healing House, I got discouraged today.  You need a photo ID to get in there (and I don't have one).  You can't eat in the bedroom suites (I have chronic pain and rarely exist outside of my bed, even to eat).  You can't use devices on their Wi-Fi due to security risks (so, I would have to either use my wheelchair or crawl through the facility to use the Internet).  The place has rules that don't accommodate someone with my issues.

On Monday, I'm going to call them with a list of questions.  I doubt anything can be done to assist me with what I need.  Being a disabled cancer patient is harder than most people realize since most things (even treatment and resources) are made for an able-bodied populace.

If The Healing House can't make exceptions for me, I have difficult choices ahead.  Do I go with my local hospital and pray nothing gets lost between networks?  Do I get transported five days a week to a closer hospital in Network B (which is still over an hour away)?  Do I travel to the hospital I'm currently dealing with (which means four hours a day on the road)?
I tend to get ill if I do too much, so even going out at all on consecutive days is a severe risk.

We'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment