Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Labor Day and desserts

My husband, sister, and I are in charge of desserts for the family get-together, so says the mom.  It's kind of my fault, though.  I'm researching dessert recipes lately.

I loved baking, once upon a time.  Baking is easier than cooking meals (on average) because most desserts require only a few steps without constant stirring, extra cutting, etc.  The lower difficulty level really appeals to me as a disabled person, though Mr. Davicob will still have to fetch things and handle the oven.

My mom is a fantastic cook/baker.  She made Mr. Davicob's and my wedding cake, and it looked professional.  I spend quite a few holidays in the kitchen with my mom, learning something new each time.  The making is the highlight, not the consumption.

For my contribution, I plan on making a "cheat" pumpkin spice recipe.  I love autumn, and Labor Day, to me, signals summer's end.  It might not fit in with grilled meat, Jell-O, and fruit salad... but it works for me.

Mr. Davicob and I have a couple extra recipes on hand in case something goes awry.
________________________________________
Looking up recipes is a nice diversion from the icky things in my life.  This type of research and planning feels... comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment