Monday, April 8, 2019

Neutropenia, the last appointment, and not wanting to go

I had dangerously low white blood cells on Tuesday.  I was told by a nurse practitioner because I saw her instead of my oncologist.  Why?  I don't know.  Maybe Dr. Y. was on vacation.

I asked the nurse practitioner if we could give me the injection to remove the white cells from my marrow and give me chemo.  No.  I asked if I could have the injection before she sent me home to guarantee I could get chemotherapy the following week.  No.  Why?  I don't know.

Tomorrow, I see a different nurse practitioner.  Tomorrow, I find out if my body produced enough cells to get the green light for treatment.  I don't want to go tomorrow.  Why?
*~*
Tuesday was difficult for me.  I didn't feel listened to by the nurse practitioner or her assistant.  I had more pain than normal (chronic pain is a plague on my existence).  I do fasting blood tests and chemotherapy days are long (I didn't eat for twenty hours).  I counted on completing chemo by a specific date; the finish line helped me hang on.

After recovering from the trip, I had a good week.  No increased side effects.  My husband and I played video games and spent a lot of time together.  I wrote blog posts, made sure a project of mine could continue, and edited my forthcoming chapbook.  I had energy to sing.  There were no naps!  I was me again!
*~*
Today, I cried.  I don't want to feel sick again.  I don't want to lose my ability to think or my energy.  I don't want to deal with another nurse practitioner who dismisses me.  I don't want another bad pain day.  I don't want to make a trip for no reason.

I don't wanna, I don't wanna, I don't wanna!

Know what else I don't want to do?  Leave my husband a widower.  Everything else is temporary.  So, I will go and hope for better things.  Sometimes, that's all anyone can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment