Sunday, December 23, 2018

It doesn't feel like Christmas (and appointments)

I have over 240 Christmas songs on a playlist.  My white tree glows softly with lights that remind me of multi-hued fireflies.  There are three bags of candy in my freezer; presents festooned with self-adhesive bows beneath the tree, and daily Christmas specials on my television.  And yet, it could be April.

My mind just can't settle into a holiday groove.  If I feel it at all, my brain slips off like Teflon.  It isn't something I can force.  There are too many other things to think and feel.

It bothers me that I can't find enjoyment.  This could possibly be the last Christmas I ever have (though I'm hoping not), and I can't even feel the warmth of the season.  I'm being cheated as I race through the dark.  The bleakness itself is punishing.  There is nothing fair about cancer.

On January 2nd, I have a PET scan scheduled.  January 4th will include labs and an appointment with my oncologist.  My 2019 is screeching in with uncertainty, and it's not the tingly, anticipatory kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment