Thursday, August 24, 2017

My mask slid off (on not coping)

I knew I'd be here, after everything.  I wondered what would do it:  The fact that our household is short on funds this month?  The realization my cancer spread farther than I thought (though radiation is still the plan)?  Nope.  It was chicken breasts... and Mr. Davicob's unwillingness to talk to my mother for thirty seconds on the phone.

I screamed at him.  Not even a minute after, I was crying and apologizing to her and him both.  Mr. Davicob just looked at me as I'm sobbing and coolly responded:  "I don't think I deserved that".  No, he didn't.

My mask slipped.  The one I wear to lie to everyone, even myself.  I felt so blissfully numb, yesterday.  My entire emotional episode lasted less than five minutes.  I must do better.

I tell myself I'm handling this "cancer thing" and just can't cope with anything else going wrong.  But, if something tiny causes me to hit the ceiling... am I coping?  Am I truly okay?

No.  I'm not.

Maybe crying over chicken dinners lets me deal with my diagnosis and the feelings stemming from it indirectly.  When I think of my cancer, I feel a tiny spike of fear, then numbness as though anesthetized.  I just hope I can keep people from the pain of me releasing my own pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment